Europacable on the Construction Products Regulation *
Europacable, the European Association of wire & cables manufacturers, welcomes the start of the applicability of the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) for cables.
For more than a decade the European Wire & Cable Industry, organised in Europacable, has worked with the European Commission and Member States towards the inclusion of power, control and communication cables in the CPR. As a first stage, on 10th June 2016 the European Commission listed the relevant Harmonized Standard covering reaction to fire performance in the Official Journal. This is recognition of the fact, that Low Fire-Hazard cables can considerably increase the level of safety in case of fire for European citizens.
After the transition period, which ends 1 July 2017, the Construction Products Regulation governs cables intended to be incorporated in construction works (permanent installations) in both buildings and civil engineering and must be complied with by manufacturers, distributors, importers, and installers. National standards and incumbent operators’ specifications eventually conflicting with the CPR have to be amended adopting Euroclasses to express the fire performance requirement for the different construction applications. New and existing specifications will adopt the new Euroclasses to define the performances of cables to be installed.
A Unique Language
The CPR provides a unique language for assessing and classifying reaction to fire performances of cables according to the Euroclasses. The Euroclasses provide the requirements for reaction to fire and form the common basis for Member States to regulate: the requirements are assessed against a sophisticated large scale test and are a prerequisite to placing products on the market. Tests are carried out and cables will be certified by Notified Bodies thus providing a legal framework for market surveillance by European and national authorities. As legal prerequisite to place cable products on the EU market, and as passport for their circulation within the European Union, the CPR introduces the mandatory usage of the CE-marking of cables and the Declaration of Performance.
The CPR provides transparency & increased safety
The key elements of the CPR providing market transparency and increased safety are:
- the adoption of CPR Euroclasses into the national installation laws, wiring regulations, fire safety regulations and into voluntary and/or customer specific standards
- one harmonized assessment and classification of performances for every product for construction or civil engineering applications put on the European Union market (either produced in the EU or outside the EU)
- 3rd party testing and certification of constancy of performances by Notified Bodies and Notified Testing Laboratories
- market surveillance which National Authorities are requested to organize to avoid the circulation and installation of non-compliant products and wrong usage of cables inside the different applications
- a legal means to prosecute unfair behaviours and the withdrawal of non-compliant products from the market, also by using the blacklist of the European Union.
Europacable Members have signed the Europacable Industry Charter and are committed to compliance with the applicable legal framework of the CPR for cables.
For interested parties, Europacable provides a FAQ on the CPR for cables.
* DISCLAIMER This document reflects the best knowledge of industry experts across Europe and the state of the art at the time of writing (January 2017). It represents our best understanding of the CPR. It is not a legally binding document and is not intended as a substitute for each stakeholder’s own assessment and decision making. A binding interpretation of Community legislation remains the exclusive competence of the European Court of Justice. Europacable declines any and all liability for any measure taken or not taken on the basis of this document, which is a private non-binding information document to be possibly used and accommodated by National Associations to prepare their own national documents. © 2017 Europacable - All rights reserved.